Lemon Steamed Puddings
Cooks in: 25-30minutes
Serves: 3 puddings
Double the recipe if you are cooking for more people.
Steamed Pud with Jam
I make these puddings in individual cups or ramekins and they cook quickly. They are so delicious especially when served warm. I use lemon but you could use orange instead with similar results. Also instead of courgettes you could use for pretty much any veg you have on hand! Carrots or sweet potato will work very well.
Once they are cooked I sometimes simply top them with a little sauce ( I show you how to make it in the recipe) or simply sprinkle with icing sugar and eat it in the cup/ramekin.
You could turn the pudding out on a plate and serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or set yoghurt and drizzle with honey or syrup.
• 50g sultanas
• 1 lemon
• 1 large egg
• 75g banana flour
• 75g courgettes, grated
• ¾ tsp baking powder
• 25g caster sugar
• 50g butter (at room temperature)
• 2 tbsp of water
To serve: 1tsp icing sugar or 2 tbsp of jam or natural set yoghurt
Steamed Pud with Icing sugar
- Heat the oven to 180C (160C fan, Gas mark 4). Generously butter 3 tea cups or ramekins.
- Grate the lemon into a bowl and add the lemon juice and the water.
- In another bowl beat the butter and sugar until it is light and creamy. Add the egg and continue beating.
- Next add the courgette, sultanas, lemon juice and zest mixture and sultanas and mix this in well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and add this in and fold it in with a wooden spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into the cups and place them in a deep oven proof dish. Pour boiling water into the dish up to halfway up the cups; ensure you don’t get any water into the puddings.
- Now cover the oven dish with foil folding it tightly around the edges to ensure that no steam escapes.
- Carefully transfer the dish into the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- While the puddings are cooking, make the sauce.
- Put the jam in a small saucepan and add 1 tablespoon of water. Keep stirring it over medium heat until it makes a nice sauce. This will only take about two to three minutes!
- Once cooked carefully remove the cups and place them on a saucer as the cups will be hot to handle.
- Top with the jam sauce or simply dust with icing sugar and enjoy.
- Alternatively turn the lemon puddings out onto a plate and serve with set yoghurt and honey.